Saturday, August 16, 2008

Senior Moments


We are down to the last two school-aged children in our family, barring a couple of them who are still in law school and one undergraduate. It happened so quickly, I guess it proves the adage "time flies when you're having fun," because all the kids have been great people and watching them grow up has been tremendous fun. Not that there aren't more good times ahead, but getting them all out of public school does mark a milestone.

My neice, Katy, has entered her senior year in high school. Talking with her mother, my "little" sister who is twelve years younger than I am, reminded me of the agony of senior year. People in their last year of high school are both an exasperating and exhilarating crowd. They can simultaneously make a parent mad and proud.

As my sister was bemoaning my adorable neice's behavior - happy one minute, gripey the next, just a little but bossy, and able to make cutting remarks without intending to - I reminded her that she had done the same thing to me on occassion when she was a teenager, which came as a complete shock to her. Being tewlve years her senior and also her Latin teacher when she was in high school, I remembered it very well. It was long before I even had my own children, much less teenagers, but it taught me a lesson I took to heart and helped me to help parents of my teenage students going through the same process.

You see, my little sister was as sweet and adorable then as my neice is now. She would never have intentionally hurt anyone, least of all me. She wasn't even cognizant that she had ever said anything snide to me, because to a teenager it doesn't mean anything. They are merely exerting their muscles on the way to adulthood. It was said and it was over and she loved me just as much as she did when she was eight or twelve or even ten minutes before she said it. And I never stopped loving her, either!

Parents who have seniors about to start back this year, take heed and have faith. There may be things said this year that are just part of the growing process and they should not be taken to heart. They may make you think you are losing your mind or having a senior moment of your own. There will be many ups and downs this year with emotions, your child's friends, life altering decisions to be made. Remember to try to enjoy it, both the good and the bad. Try to maintain your ability to laugh, because being mad and yelling won't help. Your teen doesn't understand and no amount of pleading, begging, fighting, cajoling, or passive aggression will help. I'm not saying you should accept rude behavior, but only to understand that this too shall pass regardless of what you do. As the new expression goes - it is what it is.

Good luck to all students and parents with this school year, especially those entering their last year of high school.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and we are doing it without you Ms carey! miss you but glad for you and for BEST

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Class of 2009 - I just saw your message! I miss you tremendously - more than you will ever know!! I will be watching you every step of the way!! You can count on it!