Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"What a Good Boy"

My youngest, Tom, invited his fraternity Big Brother to our cabin for the Fourth Of July. I have known Scott since Tom pledged Sig Ep at OU three years ago. He was always polite and seemed to take his Big Bro responsibilities seriously. I appreciated that. Someone needed to take Tom Swift under their wing at college.

The 4th weekend was busy, the cabin was full and people were coming and going all the time. There was rivering and laking and pooling. There was fireworking, bonfiring and 4-wheeling. I made lots of snacks, washed lots of towels and bagged lots of trash. Scott helped. He made his bed. He played with the grandchildren. He helped us cook 200 hotdogs and hot links. He chatted with Wag and me! He was easy to have around and fit in with our rag-tag group. I would have had him back anytime.

Lo and behold, about a week later, a letter arrived. A Thank You Note. From Scottie. Two paragraphs-with specific and well written Thank You's. The Float Trip-Thank you so much for putting us in and picking us up. The Fireworks- Shooting the big ones was something I have always wanted to do, thanks for the opportunity. A personal compliment- What a great family Tom has. Can you see how blown away I was? I wish appreciation and courtesy were the norm but too often adults as well as teens do not drop a note to say thank you for a kindness or occasion. I had a dinner party for a bride and groom and have never received an acknowledgement for the party or the wedding gift. It makes me sad that the bride does know better.

Scott's consideration may seem a small thing but it speaks of much bigger ones. I look for great things from him because he knows how to do the right things. He was raised to be a gentleman and to be polite. Scott does not just expect to be waited on. He understands how to make others comfortable. He is inclusive. He makes himself at home. He lets you know he appreciates being invited. Great things come to those who have these gifts.

Thank You Notes. Bread and Butter Letters. Being a good guest. Showing appreciation. Helping Out. Being genuine. Looking people in the eye. Shaking hands. Holding doors open. Standing up when an older person enters the room. Introducing yourself. Including everyone in the conversation. Showing interest. I could go on forever. Teach these skills to your kids. Model these attributes in your own life. Good manners makes for better life choices for the future. It's civilized. It's so important. chrissie

2 comments:

History buff said...

Thank you notes? how about just a thank you verbally? As a teacher I can not tell you how few kids wxpress appreciation...for anything!!!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

They are out there, I promise!!!C