Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Uncle Uncle

Maybe it's where I fall on the age-o-meter. Maybe it's because I'm out of practice. Maybe it's because I 'm used to my own time and things on my own terms. Whatever it is, six days with my precious five and two year-old grandchildren and I am ready for their parents to come home. Really ready.

We have had a wonderful time. They are of course, well-behaved, kind and loving. They never asked for their Mom or Dad, not once. They play well together and mind their Oh-Mommy. Every word that comes out of their mouth is magical and needs to be written down somewhere. Each observation of their world is priceless. Their innocence and wonder and........you get the idea. I, however, am just too tired to note their cleverness.

Did you know that children need to eat three real meals a day? Their Grandfather and I are now very happy with cheese and crackers or popcorn for dinner. There are dishes. Lots of dishes. Each one needs clean clothes, two or three times in a 24 hour period. I had four children. My washer never stopped. It's just that I am out of that laundry rhythm.

It's the waking up (6:45- little fingers are opening my eyelids. " ake up Oh-Mommy. I hungy. Go make bacon." ) and hitting the floor running. It's the fixing healthy breakfasts, getting lunches packed, getting both dogs out, getting both children dressed and loaded in the car, then to the pre-school line-by 9:00 in the morning. I don't think my own pastor recognized me as I walked by. Makeup? Heck, I don't even think I had brushed my hair.

It's also the magnitude of caring for these precious beings left in my care. I was too young and too busy when my own children were small to worry about the "what if's" and the "look-outs." I told sympathetic friends my main goal this watch was to stay out of the emergency room with either of the grandchildren. I am happy to report, that has been successful .

I am unhappy to report that "An-Daddy" briefly lost his namesake at our church's Halloween party Sunday night. I was off with big sister and upon returning, started looking around for Wagner. His grandfather casually answered, "He was here just a second ago." Ten minutes later, in a gym full of costumed trick or treaters, I found him settled in on Anne Sheet's lap, watching the big kids climb the Jupiter Jump Wall. He was happy as a clam, I on the other hand, needed CPR and a Valium.

We took autumny walks at the river. We raked and jumped in piles of leaves. We stirred up blueberry muffins. We read books and told stories. We played Beauty Shop and John Deere Tractor Boy. (don't ask). We are making memories that will last a lifetime. Just as my Grandmothers did for me, and my Mother did for my children, I want to insure that my Grandchildren know their will always be someone in the world who loves them most of all.

A very tired..... Me. chrissie

9 comments:

far away granny said...

Oh my. This one brought tears to my eyes. How lucky you are to have your grandchildren so close. And, how lucky they are to have you.

Anonymous said...

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

got me curious said...

OK. What IS John Deere Tractor boy??

osu fan said...

Don't they say that's why we're young when we raise children??/

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

John Deere Tractor Boy involves blocks, farm animals, every wheeled vehicle in the toy box and lisped directions from a 2 year old who gets very frustrated when they are not carried out exactly as he envisions the game. We really lOVE tractors.....

Not kidding said...

Do you ever keep other children? My wife and I have a trip planned and are looking for someone to keep our 3 kids.....and if so, what do you charge? Are you here in Muskogee?

Anonymous said...

re: keeping children

Is $1000 for each 24 hour period below market price for this service?
Is a license necessary? This may be a great idea for some but would babysitters go on strike for all others? If this works please suggest the protocol/template for success.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Dear Not Kidding- see Anonymous below....$1000.00 within a 24 hour period seems fair...+ a generous tip!!!! chrissie

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

sorry-see anonymous ABOVE!