Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Love Letter

The clock is ticking. This time at home with your child is fleeting. Years pass in the blink of an eye. Eighteen years and they pack their car and wave goodbye. If we do our job right, they will seek their fortune and their destiny with confidence and courage. The adventure of leaving home and leaving you is just part of their journey, and ours.

We can't live every moment, dreading the inevitable-but we can train ourselves to make the most of time together. Melony and I have talked alot about making memories, making moments, making a home. A simple way of affirming your child and perhaps smoothing over a rough time could be a letter. A love letter to your teen.

Now, I don't mean all gushy and mushy. That will just turn your child off and probably embarrass them. Don't be too abstract or rhetorical. Identify specific attributes and use specifics to support your point.

An example? You face challenges head on and with courage. Algebra II was definitely a hurdle but you studied, got tutoring, worked with your teacher and gave up other activities to bring your grade up and prepare for the next year. Dad and I are so proud of you!!!

Perhaps your daughter has a summer babysitting job. I am so proud that others trust you and know how responsible you are. Mrs. Smith knows she can count on you to care for Ivy and knows Ivy is is safe and happy. I am also busting my buttons that you are earning your own money and adding it to your college fund. You are something else!!!!

Things a little dicey at your house? Even more the reason to write an affirming note. Glad we had that meeting of the minds last night. Though we may not agree on a few house rules, I know we agree that we love each other and will both strive to come up with a workable solution. I miss that beautiful smile at the dinner table. Let's talk.

You're the parent. Who better knows all the good things about your teen. Hey, you've got bragging rights! Write a little something or write a lot. Then, pass it on. chrissie


1 comment:

Time ain't on my side said...

what a great idea-i am not sure my 16 year old would respond too well- I may have waited too long. I am afraid he would laugh all the way to his bedroom with the closed door. Maybe if i had started when he was 10???