Monday, November 1, 2010

Is it Easter Already?

November 1st. How can it possibly be November 1st? I have to argue that as I get older, really and truly, the world is turning on it's axis faster. One blink and another week has passed. Two blinks and another month comes around. I can't even fill in a daily calendar anymore. The day is over before I can write something down.

Is this a phenomenon you have also experienced? It's not that I don't notice time passing. I do. I just can't seem to slow it down. Didn't I just put my Thanksgiving decorations away? Really. Now, I am pulling them down again.

Do you remember when Superman made the planet reverse so he could save Lois Lane? I wish that would work for non -super heroes. The question is, what day, hour or minute would one go back to? In Thornton Wilder's classic American play, Our Town, the character of Emily, after dying in childbirth, returns to Grover's Corners and to her childhood home. She sees herself on her twelfth birthday. She sees her Mother preparing breakfast and hears her Father calling good wishes down the stairs. The daily act of living is too painful for her to bear. "Do human beings ever realize life while they live it - every, every minute?" Emily asks.

In the popular musical, RENT, the signature song, Seasons of Love addresses time and how it is spent by each of us.
Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, moments so dear.
Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in tears.
I can't explain why life seems to be going so much faster. I can only promise myself to live it as best I can. To live intentionally and to never take a day for granted. I refuse to dwell on the negatives. I will change what I can and release what I can't. I won't look back someday and wish I had- I will look back and smile, because I did.
I don't care how sappy, if I love you, you will know it. I don't care how long something takes. We will share wonderful food together, travel to places we have never seen. We'll have parties for no reason and I will be there for those I love through thick and thin. We'll seize all opportunities to make memories and to just be together. Every single day is a gift and I don't want to waste it. One blink, and one is on the other side of their life. I insist mine will be a great big step. chrissie

5 comments:

I concur said...

Dot your I's and cross the T's. Amen!!! Well said Ms Wagner!!

Anonymous said...

I have decided to not waste time on things not important to me.....it is different for each of us but I personally am not going to keep saying yes to committees and social obligations that do not interest me anymore...just because I was asked is no longer so important.

Hogs' Fan said...

It is not just strange- time passing by so fast now is scary....I am not as busy as I was when my children were small- I think this is a scientific phenomonon

Anonymous said...

This is really the gratitude month, November. My list is long and growing and there are so many things, people,flyover country to be gratful for.

A friend said gratful people are happy people and those that aren't, aren't....

Anonymous said...

grateful!!!