Tuesday, May 17, 2011

16 and No More Counting

It was quite a weekend. As in many families, one of our children graduated from college. We joined throngs of parents to watch our scholar walk across the stage. With a sheepskin and a handshake, he was out of school and into the world.

My son does not do anything meekly. He entered the packed Lloyd Noble Center, waving from side to side and smiling broadly. To this Mother, his brilliance and exuberance was like a spotlight on a cast of thousands. How could anyone miss that darling boy in the never ending line of black clad twenty somethings? Certainly not the parents on row E, second tier, eleventh row.

If you have a child graduating, pat yourself on your back. College is a family effort. Raising him/her to value higher education, instilling the discipline it takes to attain a diploma, and then to pay for it- congratulations! Job well done.

Tom's Dad (and my husband) is particularly jovial. No more tuition. No more rent. No more books or labs or fees. When Tom graduated Saturday, we closed the door on 16 straight years of children at OU. Several years, two were in Norman at the same time. Husband Warren was smiling from ear to ear .

I, on the other hand, was feeling pretty melancholy. When my oldest started college, I still had three at home. Both my parents were alive. I was 16 years younger.

Since I also attended The University of Oklahoma, every time I would drive back into Norman, it was like coming home. I always ran into old friends, frequented places I had gone to years before, walked familiar streets and relived a happy and innocent time in my own life. Yes, I was living vicariously through my children's college experience. And it was grand.

Sure, we'll be back for football games, but only in and out. I loved really being there. My children were part of the college community and happy there. That made me happy too.

So, on we go. Another chapter closed. I have no more children in college. I am proud to report that Tom is already starting his career, which in this economy is an accomplishment in itself. Way to go son. I, luckily have grandchildren, which keeps me in at some kind of school. This Friday, Ms Devine (Fancy Nancy's role model) will be making an appearance at Sadler Arts Academy. After all, a Mom/Grandmother has got to keep her finger in it somewhere! chrissie

8 comments:

already there said...

Way to go Tom! Now you're a grownup. Welcome to the real world. Know you will keep it real!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog on the phoenix. Enjoyed reading it - then realized after I finished who was the author. Chrissie you were such an encouragement to my son in Beauty and the Beast. He will never forget his experience in that play. Sounds like you have a wonderful family. I will make an effort to continue to read your posts.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

thank you - I hope your remarkable son has had a wonderful year (if I am guessing right) That is what theatre should be- a positive and enriching experience for all participants. Another one of those "making memories moments in life." chrissie

Cowboy Fan said...

Congratulations on your graduate-even more on the getting a job part. Right result- just wrong school:)

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way you did, Chrissie, driving into Norman. It was a bittersweet moment when Madison graduated. Congratulations to Tom! Very proud of him!

a mom said...

caught Ms Devine Friday. SHe was absolutely FABULOUS. My 1st grader was absolutely infatuated. Particularly was impressed by the cat eye glittery glasses!!!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

I will send Ms. Devine your regards. She reminds you and all to always remain FANCY!!

wishful thinking said...

Good Luck to your son and good job to you. Four out of four is definitely something to be proud of.