Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It's the LIttle Things

Another Valentines Day is fast approaching.  Roses are massed in bins at the grocery store .Plush animals are piled on shelves, fuzzy and looking for a home.  Embarrassing lingerie is front and center on department store aisles.  It hangs there, all lace and frilly gossamer, and I think as I walk by, "who wears that?" Oh, I remember, somewhere long ago and far away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Seriously, Valentines Day is another easy way to make traditions and memories for your child.  Those traditions that are so important in the fabric of a family.  Those memories that help our children know who they want to be, because of where they were.

It doesn't have to be expensive or complicated.  A Valentine Breakfast with heart shaped pancakes and orange juice in fancy glasses.  Dinner all together with your best china and fresh flowers.  A little gift at each place- something unexpected and fun to open. 

How about delivering red and white cupcakes or Valentine sacks of Party Mix to a group your teen is involved with?  Band Pratice.  Glee Club.  You will be surprised. Even that gangling son of yours will be  secretly pleased. Bring them ahead of time and leave though.  It's not homeroom in 3rd grade.

Take any opportunity to be part of your teen's life.  Take every opportunity to support and affirm.  Take every opportunity to be part of the fun.  I have got to run.  I have to get my boys Valentine Boxers in the mail.  Happy Valentines Day!  chrissie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to drink grape juice out of wine glasses and I thought I was the coolest.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Hmmm........that seems familiar to me. Is this comment from a passing Wagner??