Friday, July 26, 2013

I Hope You Dance






My oldest son was married last weekend.  It had all the usual earmarks of a wedding. Drama: Misplaced rings.  Late Best Man.  Reluctant ring bearer.  Pageantry: String quartet.  Billowing veil.  Towers of fragrant summer flowers.  Laughter: Now found rings placed on the wrong hands. Misquoted vows.   Tears. Faces of loved ones who were only there in memory and spirit. Remembering the children that now stood at the alter. So many stories to tell in the years to come.

It is all kind of a blur to me.  I get visual snapshots and then there are great expanses of not remembering.  What did I say as I took my son's arm to be seated?  What music was playing? How did I miss them cutting the cake?  Or not get to kiss them goodbye?

But I remember the sweet spirit of the wedding.  What they looked like as the fireworks exploded in their honor.  The full moon as they danced to their song. Her family and ours as we all joined together on the dance floor, arms flailing, dancing to Sister Sledge's "We Are Family." The sound of children laughing and playing. Friends and family celebrating not only Ward and Ally's Big Night but the sheer joy of life and living, with the round, full moon and a lovely summer night.


All God's blessings to my sweet boy and his beautiful bride.  May they remember their wedding with smiles and may they be affirmed by how many people love them.  May their life together be long and happy.  And may they always dance under the bright, round moon.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely Absolutly Love

Enjoying said...

Beautiful sentiment. Beautiful wedding. Beautiful couple!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some wedding!