Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Movie Review Of Sorts

Christmas break is a time when families actually have a moment to catch a movie together. This has been a great movie season for me. In the last week I have seen The Golden Compass with my daughter, No Country for Old Men with my own father (yes, had to go to Tulsa for that one), and The Great Debaters with my sister (more movies than I had seen all year combined). It was throughout that last movie, though, that I found myself wishing both my children were watching with me.

Based on the true story of Melvin B. Tolson's 1935 debate team at Wiley University in Marshall, Texas, The Great Debaters is a movie every young person should see, not because Denzel Washington will probably win an Academy Award (although that is a great reason to see the movie, indeed), but because Professor Tolson's debaters can teach us a thing or two about perseverance and the importance of education in our lives.

While I don't care for Tolson's poetry (I am a fan of his essays and the column he wrote for the Washington Tribune entitled Caviar and Cabbage), I am fascinated by his techniques for motivating his students. First, let me point out that he has been criticized by both the African American community for using the Latin and Greek Dead White Guys method of instruction and by many conservatives for espousing Communism (he lived in the same Progressive Era as Oklahoma's very own Woody Guthrie).

But, neither of these "small" criticisms would have worried Melvin B. Tolson. He was never afraid that teaching the dominant language norms would deracialize his students; on the contrary, he recognized that access to the language of power is what enables people of any color to succeed. Here is how Minerva Sloss, a former student of Tolson's (Wiley 1947) summarized his lasting effect on his students:

Although he constantly pounced on the "wrongs"and "cruelties" of the world,
most of us began to know him not as a rebel American, but one who truly loved
America, yet also loved his ancestral African heritage. He believed we should be
ever aware of the inequalities in our nation, that this knowledge, however, should
not make us bitter: but should make us realize the necessity of being ever prepared
mentally, physically, and academically to cope with these inequalities. . . . I
believe my acceptance of myself as a black woman with capabilities to go as far as
my educational preparations, aspirations and physical endurance would permit
. . . became more realistic as a result of my experiences in his class. . . . I learned much more than mere facts: I learned about life, about myself, my fellowman, my own people. I learned to be concerned about others, that each human being, black
or white, is unique and plays a part in the development of our great humanity. *
And, to me, Ms. Sloss hit upon why going to see this movie with one's children is important. Tolson epitomizes what every human being should experience, regardless of and with regard to color, race, ethnicity, or gender. Every teen should see how far we have come, what it took to get us here, and why we can't allow our apathy to ever regress us back to those places in human history in which freedom and the human spirit were repressed.
Tolson recognized education as a means to uplifting the human spirit. It might be idealistic, but I dare to believe that in 2008 we can hope that parents, teachers, and teens can aspire to Tolson's kind of dogged perseverance combined with a moral and ethical covenant with the rest of mankind. One can dare to believe.
*Quoted from David Gold, English professor at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, 2003.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mel for your blog on Tolson and the power of lanugage, education, and inspiring teachers.

All the quotes and insights that history brings us from thousands of years ago to today are tools and thoughts that help us live and cope with life as we think we know it today. This is what I heard in your article.

I've taken the liberty to expand the Tolson statement....Access to language is power.... Access to the language of power is power, knowledge, freedom and spiritual growth.

It was good to see you Xmas nite.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Hello there, anonymous!! Yes, you hit the nail on the head when you said that history brings us the tools and thoughts to help us live and cope with life as we know it today. Thanks for that expansion if Tolson's quote - it's what it's all about, isn't it?
Happy New Year!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

p.s., Anon., enjoyed spending Christmas Day and Night with you, too!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

As an aside, Mel and Anonymous expanding on Tolson....it's lucky they weren't spending Christmas at my house (though Mel and I did attend a lovely pre Christmas soiree together!)
Compare their esoteric and enlightening conversations with my house....college and twenty something men chasing each other through the year, shooting each other with their Nerf guns and modeling their "tatoo" sleeves for each other. Three year olds competing for the new jumpy castle with their aunts and uncles and me digging through three sacks of trash from Christmas Eve, looking for a gift certificate my Father had misplaced. Oh, and the smoke that filled the kitchen at our 30 something family Christmas Eve lunch as 3 pans of chicken enchiladas dripped cheese on the bottom of the stove. No one missed a beat as son #1 threw a wet cloth on the blaring smoke alarm and newly engaged nephew kept explaining to his fiance, "it's always like this at Aunt Chrissie's house." So, my intellectual friends, that is how we cope and learn from history at the Wagner's.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Chrissie, you are funny! It sounds like a wonderful time - I wish I knew where our Nerf guns are so nephews and son could chase each other around!

Happy New Year, Wagners, and everybody!!!

Anonymous said...

Was "looking around" for exceptional possibilities in words- for an upcoming opportunity to speak at a High School graduation...when-POW! I found this...
Swimming around with young people, significant and valuable as it is...requires repose and re-focusing 24-7 [not changing points or position only, but in rewinding,re-inventing...repositioning for the strenght, creativity,conviction and love to engage them, be welcomed by them...and maybe...hopefully, inspire them to think and come to their own conclusions.

I so enjoyed the title, "The Care and Feeding of Teenagers". They may often think they don't need 'caring' [smiling] but, they are always hungry!

Again, thank you. What an exceptional man, Mel Tolson. How exceptional and lasting the crop from his planting!