Tuesday, May 11, 2010







Mother's Day has come and gone. Moms all over America received flowers, cards and breakfast in bed. The toast was burned, the kitchen a mess, but the good intentions make the results memorable.

My babies are all grown now. I stand in disbelief sometimes. Where did the time go? I take great satisfaction in the results- they are strong, independent and contributing adults. Who'd have thunk it? Colicky babies, runny nosed children and angst ridden teenagers are now replaced with viable human beings. We discuss things, share recipes, talk 401k's and laugh til our sides hurt. I love to just sit and listen as my children share stories and share memories. Thank goodness I did not know some of the events they reveal to me now.

The books we read at bedtime are still on the shelves. "Good Night Moon", "We Help Daddy" and "Hop On Pop" are dog-eared and well worn. I can close my eyes and smell my childrens hair. I see them in their Power Rangers or Strawberry Shortcake jammies, and hear their voices as they beg for just one more story. Why -oh -why was I in such a hurry to turn out the light and say good night?

Author Anne Quinlan describes this regret perfectly.

"But the biggest mistake I made - I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them, sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

Living in the moment is a good thing but life just happens. For those of you with children and teens at home, take a deep breath and sometimes, remember to remember. Take pictures, keep a journal, record tiny voices and also, changing ones. Step outside the day to day and relish the moments. These moments will comfort you, soothe you, please you, and fortify you in the years ahead. Remembering the "then's" are our gifts for the "now."

My Mother's Day weekend could not have been more lovely. The boys prepared steak fajitas and guacamole on Saturday night and on Sunday, we all sat around the dining room table, for brunch and conversation. I now have a raised bed garden, created by my sons, son-in -law and husband. My daughters made sure the garden umbrella I wanted was purchased and in place Sunday morning. My sweet husband suprised me with a silver bracelet, engraved with Oklahoma wildflowers. Best of all, we were all here, together. My family. chrissie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet family!