Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Livin' on Tulsa (Quality) Time


Downtown Tulsa Skyline

In my last post I went in search of quality mother-daughter time in Muskogee. The same basic kinds of things can be found in Tulsa, only on a grander scale. One of the dad bloggers mentioned in the comment section that going to Tulsa was a special treat when he was a kid, and I think that is a fond memory for many of us. For some of us, jetting back and forth to Tulsa with our teenagers has now become expected, de rigeur even. If your daughter plays soccer, takes ballet lessons or vocal lessons, you are probably in Tulsa two or three times a week.
Here are some fun things to do in T - Town with your daughter. These are all things I have immensely enjoyed doing with my daughter throughout the years and hope to continue enjoying for many years to come!










1. Start the day off by eating breakfast or lunch at Queenie's in Utica Square. Breakfast on Saturday or Sunday is a special treat and lunch anytime is always delicious! Now that the weather is warmer, there will be more seating available!









2. A visit to Philbrook Art Museum and grounds is a good substitute for a trip to a major metropolitan area. With the renovated grounds you could almost think you had taken your daughter on a trip to Italy!











3. Shopping for some fun and funky clothes - try Chrome at 18th and Boston. If you or your daughter are OU or OSU fans, they have some vintage tees from the '70's that are very tempting, even at $65! Almost as good a selection of jeans as at SAKS.




4. Drive around and look at the houses. The same as in Muskogee, just more of them and bigger.






Maple Ridge Historic District has some grand old houses.


5. Speaking of houses, the upcoming Designer Showcase home tour in Tulsa features this Italian villa at 22nd and Madison. It should be great fun, especially if your daughter wants to be an interior designer or architect!









There are so many more things to do in the greater Tulsa area than I have even touched on. But, it's only springtime - summer could hold a whole different set of fun activities, not just for you and your daughter, but for the whole family!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is the Tulsa Designer Showcase?

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

You can actually go to the Designer Showcase website at www.tulsadesignershowcase. It says it's open April 27 to May 20. It costs $12 at the door. Hours are Mon - Sat 10 - 3 and Sunday 1 - 4. Proceeds benefit the Foundation for Tulsa Schools.
Unfortunately, Charles Faudree isn't at this showcase - boo, I'm a fan, too!

Anonymous said...

I have great memories of shopping in Muskogee at Hunt's and Durnil's and Snyder's Young Fashions and Square Foot, but it was always soooo exciting to go to Tulsa to Southroads Mall or Southland, especially after the Muskogee Turnpike opened up. Especially if my parents let me go with friends by ourselves!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Oh, my gosh! I loved Snyder's Young Fashions! I could always find something there to match my Bass Weejuns! Kids today have no idea how truly informal our society has become. I don't think I was able to wear pants to school until my junior or senior year. It's crazy when you think that today we are fighting body piercings and various taboo body parts showing. Girls wearing slacks seems like a ridiculously tiny controversy.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

I am dating myself here---remember Fulton's, the only place in Big M to get "Ladybug" clothing and when you bought something from that brand, it had a tiny ladybug on a straight pin.
Also, Lou's at 11th and Broadway (who by the way was Mr Snyder's sister)and Gilkerson's next to the old Banner Grill at 22nd and Okmulgee. You stood on a runway to model for your Mom.
We can't forget S & Q and Modern Clothiers for men. That's where we bought Jade East and English Leather for our boyfriends. C

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh - english leather and jade east...mmmmmmm!

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

I am sad to say I don't remember Fulton's or anything next to the Banner Grill (is that where we went on the way home from West High?). It sounds like fun, though, to have a "runway"! I do remember Lady Bug - what a flash from the past. And, I agree with anonymous - just the thought of Jade East or English Leather brings the scent immediately to my olfactory glands!!!!

Anonymous said...

where are "junk" shops in Tulsa? Or good cheap antique stores like there are in Muskogee?

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Oh, I don't know. There are some up and down Cherry St. (15th St.). Chrissie might know - she has connections and loves antiquing! Let me research and I will get back with you.

jkws said...

Stanley and I lived @2144 S. Norfolk Terrace in Maple Ridge when Bro Leon Russell purchased the home one short block south of us. It was hysterical. The blue-hairs were already in a tizzy about my toddlers' tricycles littering the sidewalks; the the loud music and strange looking visitors invaded. Sometimes, Leon's long haired friends would take a walk then I would see the old ladies run from their flower beds into the house...soon a sliver of a living room drape would slide away....
judy kay wilson synar

jkws said...

Regarding the "Fultons" comment....That was Gilkersons next to Banner Grill. Fultons was downtown between the Broadway Theatre and Rexall Drug.