Friday, August 24, 2007

It's Going to be a Good Year

This one's coming from my heart. There's no research behind this, just sheer emotion.

We are into the second week of classes at Muskogee High School. The new renovations to the cafeteria, along with the improved technology which is still being installed, has perked up everyone's spirits. Although there were glitches in some things, for instance all my documents are missing from my hard drive and the air conditioner in my building was fried by the accident affecting the substation transformers near Main and Shawnee, everyone - the teachers and students - seems to be taking these small inconveniences in stride. It's unbelievable how great everyone's attitude has been.

I have no solid evidence, but I think something has changed. Attribute it to the renovations at MHS; to No Child Left Behind tests looming closer and closer to the 2010 graduation mark; to the realization all over the country that the gangsta lifestyle is not going to get anyone anywhere (including the founders of BET network who recently came out against the overwhelming gangster image of African Americans in the media and the overwhelming disillusionment by people of all colors with Michael Vic and his pit bull-fighting-gambling-bling-bling lifestyle which has him now facing a prison sentence); to the burgeoning attitude in America once again that we are all responsible for the state of affairs in our country - from the megalomaniacal corporate presidents making a ridiculous hundred-million-dollar salary a year to the out-of-control Britni Spears and her pals.

Who knows what is causing it, but I see a return to sanity taking shape in America. I could be wrong, but teens seem more *All American* these days. Sure, they still exhibit a little rebellious behavior and enjoy teenaged pranks, but overall they seem to be expecting more accountability from their pop culture idols and from themselves. I think it's a ray of hope for our country.

Of course, it's still only August. Ask me again in May when it's the end of the school year and everyone's tired and I may have a different answer. But, I don't think so.

I think it's going to be a very good year.

2 comments:

CaveDwellers said...

APPLAUSE!!! APPLAUSE!!

I feel it too and was pretty much thinking it may be wishful thinking on my part, but maybe,,just maybe,,it's for real!

We human beings are strange and complicated creatures, but it seems any oppression, caused by whatever source is only tolerated for a time and we wake up, stand up and become "civilized" once again. I have to believe that our natural God given intelligence will keep us as a society from deteriorating into oblivion. I HAVE to believe in that! And I do...

CaveDweller

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

CaveDweller, I love your intro to your message:

I feel it too and was pretty much thinking it may be wishful thinking on my part, but maybe,,just maybe,,it's for real!

I truly hope we are on a course of more civility. The editorial in today's Phoenix about reading statistics was a slight set-back, but one can only hope that now television producers will also get the hint and begin offering programs with more substance, if all we are going to do (the majority of us, anyway) is watch tv!!

I'm with you - I have to believe that we have the intelligence to work things out everywhere! Unfortunately, it seems to take mankind a few decades (or centuries) to resolve their problems!! If time has sped up, then why haven't our problem solving skills!
Have a great week-
Melony