Monday, August 20, 2007

Just Need A New Title

Summer is over at the Wagner's. After a rather uneventful three months, (insert an audible sigh of relief here), Last Born journeyed once again up I-40 to continue his education. He and middle sister are now hopefully attending classes, continuing with part time jobs and in general enjoying the best four years of their lives. I'm delighted they have the opportunities offered them. I also miss them. I really, really miss them.

As discussed previously, this empty nest thing doesn't get easier. It just gets more familiar. My husband and I will now settle back into a calm house. The washer doesn't go every hour, leftovers last for days and days and our plans don't revolve around anyone elses. It is incredibly quiet here.

I quit teaching two years ago, eager to get back to my "old" life. I sort of forgot that when I started my teaching career , there were four Wagner children at home. As anyone reading this knows, an active family, friends, church, community, maintaining a home... do not stop because of a job. There are still Science Fairs and Stuco trips and cheerleader practices and altar guild and Church Bazaars and weddings and birthday parties and funerals. There is still laundry to do and car repairs and dental appointments and yards to mow. You don't stop going to the theatre or attending tennis tournaments or walking your block for a needy cause. Life is full when everyone is home. Life is busy and vibrant and ever-changing. It's just that you are so preoccupied with living it, you don't notice it passing by.

I am noticing it now. Who are we when our titles change? What do I write in that little space marked "occupation"? Stay at a Home Mom? No. Current career? Not at this time. Future plans? Not quite sure about them. How to still feel viable and necessary? How to still feel contributing? I don't want to watch that parade go by, I want to be somewhere marching in it.

I really thought I was ready to "be home". Now, I sort of don't think I am. This middle of your life deal is just that. The middle. Not the end. There has just got to be more waiting to happen. Can't there be new beginnings? New adventures? New things to learn. New people to meet?

I interviewed for a college recruiter job last week. I was terrified. I knew they were probably looking for someone younger and almost turned my car back around. I didn't. It was good for me. Five strangers on the interview panel. Thinking on my feet. Answering to the best of my ability. It was good for me. I thought the interview went well. My prior job experience and own personality seemed a perfect fit. It was a challenging and interesting work environment. As I left the building, I wondered which window would be my office.

The window turned out to not be a problem. I didn't get the job. But, I keep telling myself, it was good for me.

Stepping out of your comfort zone is not easy. Bridge with friends, playing with my grand babies, a quiet dinner with my husband or planning a family holiday, these are all life's pleasures. OU football games this fall, directing The Hobbit (coming in November) for Muskogee's younger actors, playing Bells at my church, also activities that I enjoy. But I already know how to do these things. It's the challenges that keep us young. It's new things. It's new ideas. It's that feeling of accomplishment that new experiences offer.

Ok Life. Seriously. Bring em' on. I'm ready.

12 comments:

CaveDwellers said...

How funny!!!And here I am daydreaming, just today, about how nice it would be to have the house quiet in the evenings, my carpet clean as a whistle, dinners of salads and tomatoe soups, and being able to curl up on the sofa or in bed with a nice long novel in the coming cool fall evenings. But we will be attending Football games, and various other activities. Almost every evening is filled with one activity or another!
Isn't it funny how we humans are never quiet completely comfortable in our skins. I am SOOOOOO envious of your energy and I just know you will soon find something to fill up that vacancy, that will be a passion , a "New title".

I have no idea what all it would take to this, but I have often thought it would be so wonderful if there was a place for kids to get a little extra help and maybe a bit of encouragement, in their school work. I know there are many Parents, Grandparents, Caregivers of kids who have been out of school so long we are bit rusty in the academics. And sometimes, Kids just pay attention to someone other than their Caregivers a little better. I am not talking about something free of charge. I believe you could do a good business, and if your time is paid for, both the Kids and Parents would take it more seriously. Charge by the hour...etc,,,,,

Just an idea...

Or hey!!! Join the Ladies Billards League at American Billards! It's a lot of fun!..

CaveDweller

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

I think there is a mentor program through MPS and they are always looking for interested adults. Billards huh.....haven't tried that one yet!

CaveDwellers said...

LOL,,,,Me either,,but I have thought about it. I love playing though I can't even beat my 9 year old grandaughter!..LOL But I do know they run a very clean place and it is truly geared to family fun. No tolerance for bad behavior! They even patrol the parking lot to make sure nothing is going on out there. No one is allowed to sit in their car. They must come in or be gone. The kids are not allowed to hang out outside either. I Love that!
I truly am not trying to advertise the place. I am just grateful that someone has the fortitude to run a place that is SAFE for kids and adults to spend some energy....

CaveDweller

CaveDwellers said...

Oh,,,about that mentor program; Who would one call to find out info about it?

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Mel will confirm but I think just through MPS at the main number the receptionist could give you the info and whom to contact.

Anonymous said...

Whoever would not hire you, Chrissie, is missing out on a huge opportunity! You can raise tens of thousands of dollars in the blink of an eye, draw in big crowds, and have great ideas!! What a loss for that school!

Anonymous said...

Mid life careers is a whole new topic....http://www.midlifecareers.com/ there is lots of good info out there

Anonymous said...

I do think we are younger than our parents were at whatever age we're at. Don't they say 50 is the new 40? I'm hanging on to..oh say 50 is the new 38!!!!!
We're healthier, have more cosmetic options available and see each age as new beginnings, not as an end. I do know where you are coming from though, it's just identifying that "new beginning"

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Great article, Chrissie! I agree with Botox Believer - it's identifying the "new beginning" because there are so many options now!
Melony

Anonymous said...

We miss you too mom! You know you can always come to visit us.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Thank you offsprint! I do love to come relive my college days walking down College or Chautaqua! Its fun to be there and see you love it all as much as I did! I'm proud of you both! Mom

Anonymous said...

Іt also bringѕ iTuneѕ hоme
sharing, whiсh lеts the ipad 2.
Access Without RestrictionsОne of the mostоutѕtanding benefits of a VPN for iρаd
is а tοuch sсreen, which cаn make the
sleеk tablet feel bulky and heaѵy.



Hеre is my web blog - Iρad :: http://46.20.244.74/ ::