Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Drugged

Ally, a young woman very special in our family, (particularly one family member), sent me this last week. It has been circulating on the Internet. The unknown author has an interesting view regarding the drug problem in America today. I don't particularly agree with the woodpile part but expectations, consequences and responsibility are all important in raising a child to be a confident and contributing adult. It seems many parents have forgotten that. Read below and see what you think.

The other day, someone in a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county. He asked me the rhetorical question, "Why didn 't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?"

I replied, "I had a drug problem when I was growing up. I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather."

"I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie ,brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was required of me."

"I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to Mom's garden to pull weeds from her flower beds and cockleburs out of Dad's fields.I was drug to the home of family, friends and neighbors to help out someone who needed help to mow the lawn, repair a clothesline or chop some firewood and if my Mother knew I had taken a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed."

"Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in every thing I think, do, or say. They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin; and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place."

God Bless the parents who drug us.

Have a good week and drag your kiddo somewhere they need to go! chrissie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those young whippersnappers today!

Anonymous said...

drug to the woodshed is pretty important, too. I think that's part of today's problem - not enough parents do it.