Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I'd Walk A Million Miles For One of Her Smiles

I hope this finds all Mothers' with a smile on their face after Sunday. Whether is was breakfast in bed with burned toast and smiling faces, plaster hand prints that will be pulled out in years to come (and bring tears every time), or a Hallmark card expressing sentiments you didn't imagine your teen would convey, Mother's Day is always a special time.

My youngest sent flowers. Tom is in the middle of finals and couldn't come home this weekend. But, he actually picked up his phone and called our local florist and ordered an arrangement. Be still my heart. I cried. Ward, out of the state on business, sent a rose bush, a card that said things every Mother wants to hear from her grown son and called Sunday. I cried. Annie, Greg and the Grandest of Babies met us at CaneBrake for lunch. Annie walked in first with her sister, Catherine, who drove from OKC, for Mother's Day Brunch. I cried. Warren remembered the day with a beautiful gift, thanking me for being the Mother of his children. I....well you know what I did.

I am not a crier. Never was. Sorta am now. I think as I've aged, as time has passed, the moments that make life worth living are more noticed, more appreciated. It is all whizzing by so quickly, I don't want to miss the good stuff. And as I try to live intentionally, I am more aware of life's blessings. Thereby the water works.

A friend sent the following and it is not only clever, it is true. Enjoy.

Motherhood is marked by the progression of Mommy to Mom to Mother.......

4 YEARS OF AGE -My Mommy can do anything!

8 YEARS OF AGE -My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!

12 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.

14 YEARS OF AGE -Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either.

16 YEARS OF AGE - Mother? She doesn't have a clue.

18 YEARS OF AGE - That old woman? Don't even ask.

25 YEARS OF AGE -Well, she might know a little bit about it.

35 YEARS OF AGE -Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion.

45 YEARS OF AGE - Wonder what Mom would have thought about it?

65 YEARS OF AGE - Wish I could talk it over with Mother.

Oh, how I wish i could! chrissie

3 comments:

Spring Fever said...

Ain't it the truth..I miss my Mother every single day.

Anonymous said...

I was just glad when my daughter quit calling me by my given name!

Anonymous said...

Great article, blog, column, whatever!