Sunday, May 17, 2009

You've Got A Friend

What do you share with your kids? Hobbies, like fishing or Nascar? Sports, like baseball, soccer or golf? Are you both passionate about a college team, classic films or dirt biking? Whatever you share with your children now will be something that always connects you. It will be something that reminds them of family and growing up. These shared experiences will result in those warm fuzzies and reassurances we all need at different times in our lives.

I rocked my babies to show tunes, college songs and James Taylor. Sweet Baby James, Fire and Rain, Shower the People, You've Got A Friend-could there be anything better than J.T.? His music evokes that time in my life when all things were possible and the world was at my feet. I love my husband, Warren, but James had my heart first.

Both my girls learned to love James by osmosis. We call each other when he is on television. We turn the radio up when he is singing. We alert each other with his newest album. All three of us know every word to every song James has ever written.

I surprised the girls with tickets to see Sweet Baby James last weekend in Dallas. Neither had seen him in concert before. (Make this my fourth time). We made it a girl trip and had a ball. We shopped, we ate, we drank a little wine, but what we really did was share something that was special in our lives together. The music that evokes happy times and shared passions.

Our special might not be your special, but seize any opportunity to continue what you did together- what you still do together. Don't let moments that can create memories and life moments get away. Those moments are precious. Cultivate and create them for you and those you love.

(Our family is going to a dear friend's wedding in the fall. It happens to be in Nantucket. The ferry goes across to Martha's Vineyard, home of James Taylor. If you see I have been arrested in September as a stalker, know I just knew my invitation for a visit had probably been lost in the the mail.) chrissie

1 comment:

Die hard fan said...

Did you all sing along to every song? He was at the Brady 2 weeks ago and was a good as ever!@@@