Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Deep Freeze Perfect for Heart-Warming Opportunities




Chrissie's last post focused on the fact that teenagers have not changed much since the dawn of time. They have many positive qualities and are our most precious commodity. As such, it is up to us to teach them to be servant leaders of our democracy. Nothing presents itself for this instruction like what has just occured in Muskogee and other cities across Oklahoma, declared a federal disaster area by President Bush.
How do you describe the sound of limbs weighed down with ice creaking, cracking, and then crashing down from a 100-year-old 50 ft. tree? Everywhere roads are blocked with fallen trees, making obstacle courses out of streets, which otherwise would be passable. Thousands of people in the area affected by the storm have been without power for days now, 15,000 in Muskogee alone. If you have power and are reading this, Muskogee Public Schools is closed through Friday.

In the weeks ahead, the clean-up process will be overwhelming. Volunteer opportunities will abound for all of us. You will most likely need some help at your own house, but so will your extended family, neighbors, acquaintances and stangers. Charity begins at home, as they say, and reaching out yourself to others in need sets the example for your teens.


So far I have witnessed magnanimous outreaching from so many people. Neighbors and friends calling to check on others and offer shelter. Runt's Bar-b-que driving the streets feeding the OG&E crews and others who needed food. The OG&E guys, even though they get paid, have done a tremendous amount of work in the last few days in hazardous conditions with limbs cracking and crashing all around them. We are grateful for the crews from out of state who have come to Oklahoma to help us! The police, fire fighters, City crews and people who have opened shelters have done an excellent job in adverse conditions.

There will be ample opportunity to volunteer for all of us once the aftermath of this seemingly nuclear winter becomes clear. There are, of course, more horrific places that need our help - the Sudan, Darfur, Iraq - but, as I said, charity begins at home. We learn as teens how to help the rest of the world by learning to help people right here.


Teens always rise to occassions such as this and show us what they are made of. I am not advocating that your teen use a chainsaw (although I am certain many are quite capable, the power lines and falling ice and tree limbs pose an unusual threat), but the parks and other beautiful spaces in Muskogee and outlying areas will need tending once the debris is cleared. Keep those volunteer service projects in mind, especially with the Azalea Festival just about 14 weeks away. With more snow predicted for this weekend, we may all be tested again as to what strength of character we are made of.

Keep warm and stay safe.
Melony



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melony!!! It is Phyllis Beard, Class of '82. I am sure it is completely inappropriate for me to write to you personally this way, through your Blog, but what the heck! I would love to email you and catch up. I have 2 children. One of them is about to turn 13. He is a "stinker." For that reason, I will be reading your Blog regularly, now that I found it. Please email me at mccunelaw@msn.com.
P.S. You are just as beautiful now as you were in 1982!

Anonymous said...

God Bless you all. I grew up in Wainwright and know how weird this weather is for Green Country. Stay Safe Muskogee.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Phyllis, Mel asked me to let you know, she has power back but her computer suffered for the surge. As soon as she is up and running in the next day or so, she will contact you. Chrissie

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Phyllis!!! I hope you are reading the blog - I am probably inappropriately responding to you here, but yeah, what the heck! My computer is fried, so I am using my dad's, but you can also contact me through the MHS website or my school email - melony-carey@mpsi20.org. I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU! Are you still a lawyer? I think about you alot because of your astute insight on those Latin and English relative pronouns, your cheerleading days with my little sister Dee Ann, and your law school experience. My daughter, Madison, was accepted at OU Law for this coming fall, so I ahve been thinking alot about the women I know who are lawyers. Do your parents still live here? Ok, enough, as soon as I get my computer fixed, I will email you. The computers were down at school today, but hopefully when we return tomorrow they will work! Thanks so much for writing me! Talk to you soon!
Melony

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

78 Degrees:
Thanks for your kind words. 78 degrees sounds so good right now, but we are recovering! The people I have talked to from Wainwright have had some problems, too, but everyone is so glad to be alive - it was really a weird experience, kinda shocking. Thanks again for your kind thoughts.
Melony

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

I hope everyone continues to do well as the cleanup progresses. Muskogee Public Schools Superintendent, Mike Garde, sent out a letter to the faculty about finding ways to make up the days. I am sure other districts are doing the same. As soon as it is decided how to best make up the days for all concerned, that information will be published. You should not worry about losing Spring Break, though, as people have had plans for ski trips and other activities which can't be changed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Carey. This is Eric Huyck, class of '86. I am married and living in Springfield, MO. I was online to see about the storm there and found your blog on the newspaper site. We have a 6 year old who thinks he's 16 so we will have to keep checking on your blog to get some tips. We are all safe here. We were only without power at my house for about 48 hours where several people in town were without for over a week.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Eric!!! How are you!! Yes, I heard about Missouri's bad storm, too. Glad you all are okay!

Eric, your phraseology is priceless - a six year old going on 16!! Good luck; it sounds like everything is going along well in your life. Did you all have a 20 year reunion? Keep me posted. It was great to hear from you!
Melony

Anonymous said...

Hi again Melony. We had our 20 year reunion the weekend after the 4th of July last year. It's hard to believe we have lost 9 classmates. We had a memorial service on Saturday afternoon and they asked me to read the 23rd Psalm. Toby Roth read the names and bios of those who had passed on. They also asked me to give the prayer over the evening meal. We had a real good time catching up with our classmates that came. I was a little disappointed in the number that came out. Most of the people I wanted to see were there though and that made for a good time.

Our six year old continues to amaze us. He started first grade 6 months behind in his reading but by the halfway point he was caught up where he should be. We still have a long ways to get yet. We have to deal with ADHD, OCD, and BiPolar. He is a good kid anyway and we love him.

Take care of yourself.

Melony Carey and Chrissie Wagner said...

Hi, Eric. I'm sorry, I didn't see this post until just today. I can't believe 9 people have passed away from your class. It sounds like you had a really nice memorial for them, though. Since I have been a teacher, class reunions have been wanning for whatever reason. People are just going their own ways or maybe money is tighter? Anyway, I would have liked to see you all!!

It sounds like your son is moving right along. That's a fantastic gain in comprehension! You have some obstacles to overcome, but you have all the qualities to help him, Eric.

Let me know when you all have another class reunion! I miss you guys!